Every man has his own unique life and health challenges. You are husbands, dads, sons, brothers, colleagues and mates, with a health history as diverse as your lifestyle. No single treatment can be used exclusively to help manage a particular ailment in a particular man. Personalities, lifestyles and age can all require a different response. That is why we at Pure Healthcare conduct a thorough investigation into the health and life history of each man before offering recommendations for treatment. However, there are some basics that will help any man live a healthier life. So, here are a few tips for achieving and maintaining optimal health and wellbeing:
- Be Positive & Optimistic. This can dramatically enhance your health. A positive attitude leads to faster recovery and enhanced wellbeing. Start with gratitude for everything that is good in your life, and then work on those things that you want to change. Change may not be easy but recognizing what is not working for you in life allows you to identify what you do want and to then focus on realizing what you want.
- Move it or lose it! Physical activity is a must for everyone. Irrespective of your age, regular activity can help you sleep better, work sharper, boost your immune system and manage your weight. Exercise doesn't have to happen at a gym and it doesn't have to include running, or something you think you may not like or be good at performing. Find something you enjoy and then aim for 3-5 days of regular exercise. It might be walking, rollerblading or tennis but something aerobic and challenging are key.
- Eat Smart! – You know the drill – more veggies and fruit, less beer and pizza. As a basic premise – try the “More Green / Less White” approach. Add more greens to your diet by eating a salad as part of two meals per day. The more veggies you add the better. On the flip side, reduce or eliminate “white” food. This includes bread, pasta, white rice, sugar, salt, and basically anything made with flour. These foods have simple carbohydrates with very little nutritional value. Also, eating a few less animals would be good for your health.
- Supplementation is essential for everyone. It is NOT possible to get all of the nutrients that you need for good health from food these days. So, speak to your Chiropractor, Naturopath, or other practitioner knowledgeable in advanced nutrition about what to take for your unique needs. We generally recommend that most people will benefit from supplementing with high quality omega oils, Vitamin D, and a good whole food nutritional supplement such as Juice Plus for increasing anti-oxidants and decreasing free radicals. For men specifically, Metagenics Nutraceutical Company has a fantastic men’s daily wellness supplement pack. It has all of the balanced nutritional support that a man needs for good health and balanced testosterone levels.
- Have your spinal health and nervous system checked and balanced regularly. Hard physical work, overdoing it with food and beverages, and the stresses of life can impact a man’s health adversely in subtle ways. These stresses manifest as aching back, neck, shoulder, etc. This can turn into serious injury or arthritis if not attended to. It is unwise to simply “harden-up” and put up with these signals from the body that something is wrong. Masking these symptoms with medication that is not addressing the cause, and may cause serious side effect, is also not the answer. Regular visits to your Chiropractor can aid in resolving and preventing care as well as help with back pain, neck pain, headaches and more.
- Hygiene is important. Washing your hands before you cook, eat and after you use the restroom for at least 20 seconds can spare you a nasty illness.
- Sleep well. Sleep is essential for repairing injury, reducing stress, and supporting vital levels of energy and productivity. Everyone is a bit different, but 6-8 hours per night is best. Remember, 1 REM (rapid eye movement) cycle is 90 minutes. So, multiples of 90 minutes are best to include all the levels of sleep.
So, to be all that you can be, in all the roles that you play in YOUR life, just make a few simple changes and make these seven suggestions part of your lifestyle. What you will get in return is vitality, longevity and wellbeing in all areas of your life.
Please take advantage of our offer for the purchase of a gift voucher for a new patient visit at a discounted rate today!
Give the gift of healing to your favourite Dad, husband, son, friend who may be celebrating Father’s Day in pain.
Father’s Day Special 2014
It’s Father's Day early next month (Sunday 7th September). We would like to recognise all the good work and commitment of Dad's for their families on the North Shore. Thank you! With dedication and commitment to family comes a certain amount of stress. So we at Pure Healthcare want to help you relieve some of the unwanted stress and strain on your body.
50% saving on new client appointments for Dads
- Initial Consultation, Examination & treatment – reduced from $97 to $48.50 •
- 1st -13th September 2014 Thanks Dad's For Being Who You Are! Hope to see you soon. Space / Availability is limited so call 09 4142225 to reserve your spot. Please feel free to share this offer with others - All Dads Need Some Stress Relief! Happy Father's Day! Dr Colin Woodbury