No fault injury cover
Everyone in New Zealand has 24-hour, seven-day-a-week, no-fault comprehensive injury cover through ACC. ACC’s role is to ensure that anyone with an injury is covered by the ACC scheme, and gets the rehabilitations necessary to return to everyday life, as soon as possible.
- No matter what you’re doing or where you are when you’re injured, e.g. driving, playing sport, at home, or at work.
- No matter how the injury happened, even if you did something yourself to contribute to it.
- No matter what age you are or whether you’re working – you might be retired, a child, on a benefit or studying.
Receiving care at Pure Healthcare through ACC
Making a claim is easy. If you are injured; the first thing you need to do is make an appointment to see our chiropractor or go to the Accident and Medical clinic if necessary. You will need to fill out an ACC claim form, and get started on treatment for your injury. Filing a claim does not guarantee that there will be ACC coverage for your clam.
You do not need a referral from your GP to see our practitioners at Pure Healthcare, but you do need a referral from either a chiropractor or GP to see an acupuncturist.
When you visit us, your GP, or other treatment provider, you will be advised if you’re likely to be covered by ACC for the injury. Because no two injuries are the same, the type of assistance ACC offers varies depending on individual circumstances. To learn more click here.
After your appointment, we will submit a claim to ACC requesting coverage for the injury you have sustained. Until the claim is approved or denied we will only charge you our ACC surcharge fee if applicable. If the claim is denied for any reason, you will be invoiced for the balance of the full fees due for the services provided
An ACC claim is usually valid for a certain number of treatments, depending on the diagnosis, for up to 1 year from the date of injury.
For standard claims, ACC must make a decision and notify you within 21 days. But they can extend this to a total of four months if they need more information.
If ACC doesn’t comply with any of these time limits, the law treats ACC as having accepted your claim and you will have cover for your injury.
What ACC covers
Below are some of the physical injuries that ACC would cover (refer to the ACC website for a full list):
- sprains and strains
- fractures, amputations or dislocations
- work-related gradual process injuries, such as tendonitis, and deafness caused by noise at work
- infections or diseases caused at work by performing a particular task or being exposed to a particular environment (this excludes any conditions you may have had since birth)
- wounds, lacerations, contusions (bruising)
- loss of consciousness
- medical treatment injury
- If you get injured in New Zealand, even if you are visiting from overseas, ACC can help with funding for treatment and other support.
If you get injured overseas while you’re on holiday or working, ACC may be able to help you when you return to New Zealand. Entitlements are no different to what you’d receive if the accident happened in New Zealand.
What ACC doesn’t cover
- stress, hurt feelings, loss of enjoyment or other emotional issues (these may be covered if these are the direct result of a physical injury or sexual abuse)
- conditions related mainly to ageing
- non-traumatic hernias, e.g. from coughing or sneezing, or not directly as a result of trauma
- injuries that come on gradually and are not due to a work task
- damage to items that don’t replace body parts such as hearing aids, glasses, pacemakers and gastric bands
What compensation can I receive?
- Medical and hospital treatment
- Weekly compensation
- Loss of potential earnings if you were under 18
- Rehabilitation Costs
- Transport to treatment
- Lump-sum compensation for permanent disability (“impairment”)
Please feel free to chat to any of the Pure Healthcare team for further clarification on the ACC process. Thank you for your understanding and co-operation with adhering to our terms for payment of fees for our ACC services.
Complete the form below to request your FREE discover session and one of the friendly staff at Pure Health will be in touch to confirm your booking.